|HP Pavilion DV6-1030US 16.0-Inch Laptop
|List Price: $1022.00
Our Price: $699.99
You Save: $322.01 (32%)
Expanding on the sophisticated elegance of the current line, the new dv series is defined by fluid, modern lines and metalized finishes with surprising innovations inside and out. High-gloss HP Imprint finish in onyx and chrome now encases all surfaces visible during normal use for greater durability. The dv6 series Mesh Imprint features a grid-like pattern for subtle contrast to the liquid appearance of the metallic finish. The streamlined look is enhanced with a color-matched keyboard and touchpad. And touch media controls light up and become visible only when the system is powered on further enhancing the clean appearance and helping illuminate the 16:9 widescreen. This notebook has the Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 4GB of RAM that enables you to use multiple demanding applications, such as photo editing, DVD burning and playing a game, at the same time. Control content from up to 10 feet away with the HP Mobile Remote Control that can be stored in the ExpressCard slot for convenience. Store all your favorite digital memories such as movies and photos with the huge 320 GB Hard Drive, and get faster backups by connecting an external hard drive through the eSATA port. 16.0 diagonal (1366 x 768) BrightView Widescreen Display Built-in Webcam and Digital Microphone Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD with up to 1759MB Shared Graphics Memory LightScribe SuperMulti 8x Double Layer DVD+-R/RW Drive 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Bluetooth 10/100 Base-T Ethernet LAN 5-in-1 Bridge Media Adapter - MMC, SD, MS, MS Pro, xD ExpressCard 54/34 Slot Connections - 3 x USB 2.0, USB2.0/eSATA, 2 x Headphone out; Microphone-in, VGA, HDMI, RJ-11 (Modem), RJ-45 Approximate Unit Dimensions - 14.9 (W) x 10.15 (D) x 1.65 (H) Approximate Unit Weight - 6.93 Pounds
Offering an eye-catching modern look, the entertainment-focused HP Pavilion dv6-1030us notebook PC makes it easy to enjoy your favorite music and videos while on the go, as well as keep you productive with a speedy dual-core processor and 64-bit Windows Home Vista Premium operating system. Enjoy full screen viewing with the 16-inch screen's 16:9 aspect ratio--perfect for full-screen viewing of HDTV and other HD content. And the BrightView display looks good even in direct sunlight. You'll also enjoy movies or music in seconds with the external DVD or music buttons to launch HP QuickPlay (which bypasses the boot process). Control playback settings from up to 10 feet away with the included HP remote, then store it conveniently in the Express card slot. Turn your next instant message into a live video chat with the integrated webcam and omni-directional microphone. Optimized for low-light environments, it's great for capturing short videos to share on your favorite social networking site.
It's powered by the 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 processor, which boosts speed, reduces power requirements, and saves on battery life. It also offers a fast 800 MHz front-side bus speed and 2 MB L2 cache. HP's ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection locks your 320 GB hard drive into place when it senses abrupt motion to help prevent data loss. The built-in eSATA/USB combo port enables fast backup to an external hard drive. Other features include 4 GB of installed RAM (8 GB maximum), Intel GMA 4500MHD graphics with up to 1759 MB of available memory, dual-layer Lightscribe DVD¡ÀRW drive (which also burns CDs), ExpressCard 54 slot, quad-mode Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n), Bluetooth connectivity, and 5-in-1 memory card reader.
Expanding on the sophisticated elegance of HP's notebook design from the past few years, the new DV series is defined by fluid, modern lines and metalized finishes. The HP Mesh Imprint finish in onyx and chrome encases all surfaces visible during normal use for greater durability. And the Mesh Imprint features a grid-like pattern for subtle contrast to the liquid appearance of the metallic finish. The streamlined look is enhanced with a color-matched keyboard and touchpad. And touch media controls light up and become visible only when the system is powered on further enhancing the clean appearance.
| Spec Check |
- 16-inch LCD screen
- 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 processor
- 320 GB hard drive
- 4 GB RAM (8 GB maximum)
- Dual-layer Lightscribe DVD¡ÀR drive
- Draft-N Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n) and Bluetooth
- Intel GMA 4500MHD graphics (up to 1759 MB total)
- Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit, SP1)
- Weighs 6.34 pounds
- Processor: The Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 processor has a 2.0 GHz processor speed, fast 800 MHz front-side bus (FSB), and 2 MB L2 cache. (An L2, or secondary, cache temporarily stores data; and a larger L2 cache can help speed up your system's performance. The FSB carries data between the CPU and RAM, and a faster front-side bus will deliver better overall performance.)
With two computational execution cores in a single processor, it provides greater system response when running multi-threaded applications simultaneously with no significant increase in power consumption. It's optimized for multitasking and is ready to support the Microsoft Windows Vista operating system. It can simultaneously run multiple demanding applications--such as graphics-intensive games or serious number-crunching business productivity applications--while downloading music or running virus-scanning security programs in the background. Some of the advanced Intel innovations of the Core 2 Duo processor include:
- Smart Memory Access: Improves system performance by hiding memory latency, thus optimizing the use of available computer data bandwidth to provide data to the processor when and where it is needed.
- Advanced Digital Media Boost: Effectively doubles the execution speed for instructions used widely in multimedia and graphics applications.
- Dynamic Power Coordination: Coordinates Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology and idle power-management state (C-states) transitions independently per core to help save power.
- Deeper Sleep with Dynamic Cache Sizing: Saves power by flushing cache data to system memory during periods of inactivity to lower CPU voltage.
- Hard Drive: The large 320 GB Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive (5400 RPM) offers a wealth of storage space, perfect for storing a vast multimedia collection or for editing digital video. This SATA hard drive also quickens the pace with a higher speed transfer of data--akin to Firewire and USB 2.0.
You'll enjoy enhanced hard drive protection with HP's Protectsmart, which includes a 3D accelerometer that safeguards your data by parking your hard drive if your notebook detects any range of motion, such as being knocked off your desk, falling or taking abuse.
- Memory: The 4 GB of installed RAM helps boost the amount of available video RAM that's shared with this notebook's video card. This notebook has an amazing 8 GB maximum RAM capacity (4 x 2 GB). To receive the faster data transfer benefits of the dual-channel DDR2 RAM, any RAM additions require memory modules of same capacity and clockspeed.
- DVD/CD Drive: This multiformat DVD/CD drive is compatible with writing both DVD+ and DVD- disc formats as well as dual-layer (DL) DVD+/-R discs, which can store up to 8.5 GB of data. It features 4x DVD-R DL Write Once, 2.4x DVD+R DL Write Once, 8x DVD+R, 4x DVD+RW, 8x DVD-R, 4x DVD-RW, 16x DVD-ROM, 40x CD-R, 24x CD-RW, and 40x CD-ROM speeds.
This LightScribe DVD¡ÀRW drive lets you laser-etch silkscreen quality text and images on to CDs and DVDs . Your software, PC and discs work together for a no-hassle way to burn just the labels you want. After you burn content, just flip the disc over, reinsert and burn your label--anything from a simple title to a full-disc work of art.
- Keyboard & Mouse: This notebook has a 101-key keyboard (with integrated numeric keypad) and a touchpad with on/off button and dedicated vertical/horizontal Scroll Up/Down pad. It also includes two quick-launch buttons (HP QuickPlay Music and DVD).
Screen, Video & Audio
You'll enjoy razor-sharp graphics and widescreen movies with the 16-inch WXGA high-definition screen, which has a widescreen resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels--a perfect 16:9 aspect ratio for watching DVD movies the way they were meant to be seen. Video is powered by the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD, which uses shared video memory (up to 1759 MB allocated from the system memory). This graphics card is built with Intel Clear Video technology, which delivers clearer, more detailed images by eliminating many of the jagged edges and video artifacts seen when viewing interlaced content and features powerful color control to ensure videos are not too dark, overly bright, or washed out.
The Altec Lansing speakers provide exceptional sound, and it also includes SRS Premium Sound. You'll be able to privately share enjoyment of multimedia with a friend via the dual headphone jacks.
Networking, Connectivity & Expansion
Be ready for the next platform in wireless connectivity with the integrated quad-mode Wi-Fi chip. Based on the draft 802.11n Wi-Fi specification, it offers up to five times the performance and twice the wireless range as existing 802.11g wireless. It's also backward compatible with 802.11b/g networks (commonly found in home routers and Wi-Fi hotspots) as well as 802.11a networks (which has a higher throughput, but more limited range--great for closed office environments). With the integrated Bluetooth connectivity, you can communicate and synchronize with Bluetooth-enabled peripherals such as PDAs and cell phones.
It also includes a next-generation ExpressCard 34 card slot (replacing the PCMCIA slot), which lets you take advantage of thinner, faster, and lighter expansion cards for even more advanced wireless, networking, storage, and security features. It comes with the following external connectors:
- 4 USB 2.0 ports for connecting a wide range of peripherals--from digital cameras to MP3 players (with 1 eSATA + USB 2.0 combo port)
- 1 HDMI output (for connecting to a compatible HDTV or home theater receiver for uncompressed digital audio and video via a single cable)
- Analog video output: 1 VGA
- 1 ExpressCard/54 slot (also supports ExpressCard/34)
- 2 headphone jacks
- 1 microphone jack
- 1 Expansion Port 3 connector (for use with the HP xb3000 Expansion Base or the HP Notebook QuickDock)
- 1 IR receiver
- 5-in-1 memory card reader (Secure Digital, MultiMedia, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, xD Picture Card)
- 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet networking
- 56K modem (V.90)
The 64-bit version of Windows Vista Home Premium (with SP1) is the operating system for users with advanced computer needs, and it includes all of the Windows Media Center capabilities for turning your PC into an all-in-one home entertainment center for watching DVD movies and accessing your digital audio library. You can also use Windows Media Center to record and watch your favorite TV shows (even HDTV) and to access new kinds of online entertainment content. Computers that include Windows Vista Home Premium and an auxiliary Windows SideShow display will also allow you to access key data even when your computer is off. It is also easier than ever to share files between other PCs in your household and to manage your laptop computer settings to more securely connect via Wi-Fi.
Every edition of Windows Vista provides the essential tools and technologies to help protect you whether you are browsing the Internet, connecting to a wireless network, or just reading e-mail. All editions of Windows Vista include new tools that can warn you of impending hardware failures long before you have lost any important personal data. And, all Windows Vista editions include parental control features that allow you to manage and monitor your family's use of games, the Internet, instant messaging, and other activities.
- HP MediaSmart Software Suite: Your one-stop multimedia and entertainment center to create photo slideshows, share personal videos, listen to your favorite music playlists and watch DVD movies.
- muvee autoProducer Basic: Automatically create professional looking home videos and burn to DVD.
- Cyberlink DVD Suite Deluxe: Automatically fix and edit videos and create CDs and DVDs. Edit, burn and archive data to discs.
- Microsoft Works 9: Includes a word processor, spreadsheet, database and calendar.
- Microsoft Office Home and Student Edition 2007 (60-day trial version).
- Adobe Reader 8: Read and print PDF files.
- Norton Internet Security 2009 protects your PC and your identity when you email, bank and shop online; 60 days of protection updates included.
Dimensions & Weight
This notebook measures 14.9 x 10.2 x 1.61 inches (WxHxD) and weighs 6.35 pounds.
It's powered by a 6-cell rechargeable lithium-ion battery, which has a battery life of up to 2 hours (depending on usage).
What's in the Box
This package contains the HP Pavilion dv6-1030us notebook PC, rechargeable lithium-ion battery, AC adapter, IR remote control, and operating instructions. It is backed by a limited warranty for parts and labor for one year from date of purchase as well as technical telephone assistance for one year. Software is also covered for 30 days from date of purchase.
Reduce your impact on the environment with this Energy Star-certified system and HP's innovative take-back options, including trade-in, recycling and donation.
- 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 Processor
- 4 GB RAM (8 GB max)
- 320 GB hard drive, LightScribe dual-layer DVD drive
- Windows Vista Home Premium with SP1 (64-bit version)
- Intel GMA 4500MHD graphics (up to 1759 MB total), 16-inch LCD with perfect 16:9 aspect ratio
- A very nice Laptop
I just received this laptop, and let me tell you, it is a very nice one, I paid an overall amount of 850.00 dollars including S/H and my countries taxes ( I am from Guatemala, Central America). This laptop exceeds my expectations. I have read some reviews saying that the Delete button is not well placed, I think they're wrong, to me it is in the right place (above de Backspace). It looks very elegant, and feels very solid. I dont think I have to describe the specifications(you can go to HP.com and find out), but I must say 2 things (they are not big deal to me but probably for you): It doesnt have the IEEE 1394 port, and doesnt have FingerPrint reader. To me, 5 stars!!!! very happy!! Did I mention that the Logo lights on! pretty cool.......more info
- HP Pavilion DV6-1030US
Ordered first computer and had problems right away. Would not make backup discs, and could not configure to acess password protected websites. Amazon replaced with same model computer and it works perfect, no problems. I appreciate Amazon`s promt and couteous handling of this mater,and will continue to be a loyal Amazon.com Customer....more info
- Excellent laptop for Home user.
HP Pavilion DV6-1030US 16.0-Inch Laptop
i brought this laptop after extensive research on the net especially on the review sections of Amazon and on Cnet.
The first thing that i would say is that this laptop is a excellent choice, especially for someone who would be using it more for Home use...typing documents,excel charts, preparing power point presentations and surfing the web and watching a movie..AT THE SAME TIME. The 4GB ram is superb and allows multi-tasking.
Although for this price the processor speed 2.0Ghz and the hard drive 320GB is good but could be better.
The HP Media-Smart is a very cool feature and has excellent clarity.
Haven't used the Lightscribe yet..but should be good.
All in all..a very good package...for this price. Also looks damn good....more info
- Best Laptop at the price point, for sure...
I shopped around and believe me, this is the best "Bang for the Buck" around. I no longer really play games, so the Intel integrated video being the only weak point was no big deal. ***Amazon's Ethernet Specs are Wrong*** This unit does NOT have Gigabit Ethernet, 10/100mb connection only. But everything else is top notch. Core 2 Duo 2.0, Beautiful 16" 720P HD Screen, Vista 64bit Premium (Do yourself a favor and buy the Upgrade to Ultimate 64bit), 320GB HD, 4GB Ram, eSATA, Bluetooth, USB 2.0, docking port, Wireless N!!!, remote and this is one gorgeous laptop.
I added a Gigabit Ethernet Express Card for $50, from Amazon, to make this laptop perfect.
This is a case of "You get MORE than what you pay for..."...more info
- Disappointment abounds
I am not a geek, but have been using computers since 1988, and have become somewhat literate.
The specs on this thing looked good. I thought I saw that it had a s-video output and a fire wire port. No s video, and I finally located the fire wire port, I think by going through my collection of old cables until I found one with the right fit for the computer and the external hard drive's fire wire input. Does not seem to be as fast as the USB connector though.
There is a remote control to run the tv function, but I have not been able to figure out how to get either to work, and I accidentally stumbled upon the slot to store the remote while i was looking for the slot to install a game card. No slot for the game card, but there is a place for the remote. none of this is illustrated in the internal documentation inside the pc. It might be in the paper manual, but if there was a paper manual in the box, i must have lost it.
within a week of purchase, the screen started to flicker. I contacted HP email support and did what they told me. The flickering got better, for a couple of hours, then started up again. I contacted HP again by email, got more instructions, and the problem got worse. In frustration I called HP support and spoke to a female operative who gave me vague and incomplete instructions on resetting the BIOS. After a contentious exchange, she consented to send me a box to return the notebook for service. It will be gone for two weeks. HP continues to assure me that all the problems will be solved, but I am not optimistic. In addition to the screen issue, the Media Smart Resident TV program stopped working.
I was also mistyfied why the screen saver would not start up as scheduled in the control panel, only to discover after two weeks and 3 friends that the screen saver cannot work if I have my external mouse plugged in.
The Altec Lansing built in speakers are about as crummy as you would expect to find in a laptop.
I am stuck with it now I guess.
So far so good is a very nice product, fast and has lot of nice programs from HP, will recommend this product....more info
- NOT for use with Linux
This and many other HP laptops have a flaky bios that won't resume from suspend with Linux distributions like Ubuntu and Fedora.
Recent HP laptops fail disk detection after resuming from suspend
As of 2009-05-18, many recent HP laptops fail to detect disk after resuming from suspend if the ATA controller is in AHCI mode.
The problem has been reported to HP and it seems that HP already released firmware updates which fix the problem on some of the affected machines. libata developer contacted HP but hasn't been successful at getting information to work around the problem. Please read bko#12276 for details.
The problem has been reported on HP Pavilion dv5, DV5t-1000, HDX16t, dv3507, HDX18, dv6-1030us, dv5-1120el, DV4 1050el and dv7. Note that not all reports have been verified and the list may not be complete.
For the time being, the only solution seems to be staying away from possibly affected machines. ...more info
- Important things to know about this laptop
1. Bus Speed is 800Mhz. In the laptop world, this would be right between slow and fast. If you a casual user (watch youtube while checking your e-mail and writing a report), this will be sufficient.
If you like to do multiple things at once (extended desktop to create dual screen enviroment, move large files to and from external HDs, burn a cd, with video(s) playing and a music production progam running) my recommendation is that you become familar with tweeking your Vista settings or buy a more powerful computer. It's not that it can't handle such lofty requests, it can. It will just be slow/will lock up.
2. Comes with 4Gb DDR2 (2x2GB). Now, this will be MORE than enough RAM for almost anyone. But what if you dream big and want to be a desktop in laptop's clothing? It's upgradable to 8GB, which is rare for a laptop. For the most part, 8 Gb laptop RAM (2 x 4GB) doesn't exsist. If you can find it, it will be at least $250+. HP Build a laptop states that a 8GB upgrade would be $400. Why would you need this much ram? I cannot say. This may be useful in the future, I do not know.
3. Harddrive speed is 5400RPM. This goes back to how much multi-accessing you do. 7200RPM would be nice, but not necessary.
4. Bloatware. I'm not really sure why this is much of a complaint in regards of any computer. Windows/Control Panel has a build in remove software feature that can remove most software completely in a short period of time. I'm sure that some computers come with INSANE programs that are so integrated into Windows, you must have a court order and holy water to remove it from your life. If you don't like the in house program, there is 3rd party softwere (free & pay) out there that claims to do a more through job cleaning out the gunk.
5. The Vista experience is rated at 3.8. Just a FYI.
6. This really isn't a "gaming" PC. It's just not. Spades, No problem. Minesweep until you can't see straight. It's your world baby. Crysis (and if you know what this game is, you know what I'm gonna say next) ain't happpening. BUT, if someone wants to try it on this notebook, please leave a comment on this review and let me know how that goes.
7. There is a slot in the PC that holds the mini remote control. On the left side of the laptop. COOOOOOOOOLLLLL! At least I think so.
8. Do I like this laptop. I do. It's not the fanciest thing on the market, but for the price, it's good....more info
- Good machine but Windows Vista only and REALLY DANGEROUS BIOS upgrade!
This is a very fine and fully loaded laptop.
I already had a previous HP pavillion dv-1030us model at home (which gave me no major problems for the last years) so I decided to stick to it.
I still did not have the chance to really use it because as soon as it arrived, I got a HP Health Check window with a list of recommended upgrades that should be applied. Pretty normal and expected since I was turning it on for the very first time, right?
Well, the 1st upgrade in the list was a BIOS upgrade, which I obviously downloaded and executed. The only problem was that the new HP Insyde BIOS flash utility for Windows Vista seems to be more of a threat than a utility. It simply popped-up a "Verify Error" message and completely frozen Windows and made the fan and HD run like crazy . Even the power button stopped working. The only way I was able to turn it off was by removing the battery. After that, the machine was completely dead! The power button didn't even light-up any of the machine's LED, not even the battery charging indicator.
I chatted with HP "support" just to know that I'd need to send the laptop for maintenance. So I decided to return it to Amazon for replacement and now I don't intend to apply any BIOS upgrades from HP any time soon....more info
- Nice and light!
This is my second laptop purchase, the first one was very heavy so along with all the other requirements I was looking for weight was a major concern for me.
I've had this laptop for about a month and I just love it. [...]...more info
- Love it!
I absolutely love this laptop. I've only had it for 2 weeks and when I got it at office depot they had to go out to the truck and get it. They only had 2 and luckily at that exact time only 2 of us were wanting one. I'd rather it didn't have all the trial programs, but most computers do so it's not a big issue, you can take them off. My battery lasted about 3 hrs and that was playing a game that takes up alot of resources and still searching out stuff on the web. We watched movies on it while my daughter was in the hospital and it works great....more info
- Very Very happy with this computer
I have only had this for five or so days but i am in love with it already lol.
I am a amateur photogrpher and i already have a bunch of photos stored on it, the space on this is great!
I have been on about eight or nine different sites (including youtube) at once and they are all as fast as just haveing one open.
The web cam is good quality, with great effects. the mic is crystal clear.
The lightscribe is great, even though it isnt in color i definitely prefer it over labels.
Oh, the only thing i wasnt looking forward to was the fact that the battery only last two hours. But it actually last about 4 hours, and that is with the laptop open and being used for four hours straight. ...more info
I have mainly purchased dozens of Dell laptops, wary of any other brand due to warranty issues. I took a chance with HP and I am very impressed with the quality of the display, sound, and durability. I was hoping that the video card would handle GTA4 but it does not, but that's ok, all other programs run smoothly. The touchpad is smooth so it takes a bit of getting used to in order to navigate. Because of the gloss finish, it does collect fingerprints easily, so keep a cloth handy. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this laptop to any type of user....more info
- Very nice computer!!
This computer is much better than my previous laptop! Our family has almost exclusively had HP Pavilion computers! I am very impressed with this laptop! The features on this laptop make it worth the price. The quality makes the price worth it! I almost went with a more expensive computer and different company; but am glad I went with an HP!!...more info
- This is one sexy lapdancetop
Lucked out and actually found this bad boy in stock at off.Depot for [...] after rebates plus got a free HP printer , again after rebate.
It's a sharp looking unit and so far runs like a charm. I was leaning towards a Dell but after researching and talking with the geeks i would have had to pay over a grand for similar specs. The screen is awesome and set up to network was cake...chocolate of course:) The 6 cell bat. is typical so i'm not going to rag on it like so many like to do. Deal with it. This is my first laptop and for what you get for the price you can't beat it. if you can find it..buy it....even at [...] its a good deal. ...more info
- Very poor service
I sent this product back for repair because 2 of the 3 USB ports did not work. I was told it was not covered because the "Mother Board" was damaged. I indicated the PC NEVER worked since I got it and I was told they could do nothing. The unit still had the protective plastic on it and I DID NOT abuse it. From my perspective their Customer Support is terrible and I would never buy from them again. I bought direct from HP.
.....Just my opnion...more info
- HP DV6-1030US Lap Top
I purchase this item as a Graduation Present for my Granddaughter who will be using it this fall in College. I have not turned on the maching as I am leaving it for my Granddaughter to set it up for her use. The Item was shipped promptly and very well packed. Because it required a signature for receipt I was called a couple of days prior to delivery to ensure that someone would be available to sign for the shipment. Everything worked out great and I am satisfied with the product....more info
|Old Release Old Products|